iceland.co.uk

Member since : 04/02/2004
Peace and Love...Kate
Satisfactory
Pro It Looks easy to use
Cons it wasn't - and the helpdesk weren't helpful!!!

"Brrrr! I Didn't Order The Cold Shoulder"

at least the lights work

at least the lights work

It seemed like a good idea - my work colleagues look forward to our Christmas Soiree here at Fairy Cottage, and as I am still unable to walk without the use of crutches - my cooking skills are very limited, Iceland.co.uk seemed like a very good idea!!

My daughter seems completely unable to cook without burning everything on the outside and leaving it frozen on the inside - so I gave her the task of decorating the Christmas tree and adding more fairy lights to the hundreds we have up all the year round. Then I settled down to ordering our party fayre!

At first I was really impressed, the site was easy to navigate and prices were cheap in comparison to other stores. I started by making a list on the site after I'd registered,I named the list 'party', and before adding too much to it, came out of the site then logged back in to make sure it was still there - it was, so I continued to shop.

The whole party section was amazing - there are veggie, indian, oriental and good old sausage rolls all at bargain prices - the instruction was that I could have free delivery if I spent over £40. Well at '3 for £6'and '3 for £5', not to mention the buy one get one free items I soon had a basket totalling £67! The things you do for friends!

I limped outside to the garage to make sure the freezer had space for all this food then went on to the Iceland checkout - thinking how easy it had been.

Sadly when I got to the checkout my very full virtual basket was empty!! Immediately I thought it was my fault - I'm not the best with computers sometimes.....

I went back into my list and once again clicked to buy the items. Amazingly the cost of my order had doubled! Confused, I tried to alter the basket by half, and the price trebled! Now I KNOW that wasn't my fault!

I asked my daughter to check what was happening and she couldn't fathom it out either - but there was a helpline telephone number displayed on the screen so I rang and spoke to a lady who was supposed to be able to help with technical difficulties. I advised her of the problems I was experiencing and asked her if I could get help halving the items on my order rather than have to go through the whole order experience again.

She advised me that she could only help with appliances and not with food orders - I asked if I'd got the wrong number (why do I always think its me?) she said no I hadn't but that there was no-one there that could help me. She asked for my phone number and said someone would call me back - I asked how long it would be before I got the call but she didn't know.

Although she was apologetic I was at a loss to understand why a helpline has no-one to help when you ring - but it was pointless arguing so I left my number.

That was yesterday and I have not received a call but I have ordered all my party freezer food from Asda as they were more than helpful and although for exactly the same things, the cost is a little more I won't be arguing or price matching. I would sooner have brilliant customer service!

So a big thumbs down for Iceland at the moment but if I brave the site again and get good service I will edit this. Can't see it happening for a long time tho!!!

By the way my daughter made a lovely job of the tree - so in the absence of a happy ending I'll add a picture of it and a 'self took' of Toria and I smiling in the face of adversity!

Thanks for reading

Peace and Christmas love

Kate

• Lush1 published 16/12/2004
    What the hell was going on there!!!!! I've never been to Iceland or used the site, but there is something seriously wrong with their site by the sounds of it!
  • bagoproverbial published 10/12/2004
    Was thinking of ordering from them... but I think I'll stick with tesco now.
  • MotoAthan published 09/12/2004
    great op! im sure ill miss this one thanks