learndirect.co.uk

learndirect.co.uk

Review of "learndirect.co.uk"

published 24/03/2009 | Noemi35
Member since : 24/03/2009
Pro Good for people who have no or a limited education.
Cons Rigid framework - not much flexibility, patronising staff, cramped & depressing room.

"Appalling - just another New Labour scam"

My complaint is all about the false impression created by the government sponsored Learndirect website and customer service advisors.
I spoke to two advisors over the phone, prior to visiting a centre because I wanted to know how to take this particular course. I was OK to go to the centre but prefer to study from home. My main purpose was to refresh & brush up my spreadsheet skills. The customer advisors on the phone really encouraged me to visit the centre because “you will be better off” for many reasons – I could take free or discount courses AND get tutor support at the centre while you cannot get these if you purchase a course online. So I went to the nearest centre - it was totally different to how it was described. No cafe, not even a drinking water facility, no parking space (you must be joking!), the room was a tiny space, cramped with many computers & people sat very close side by side, there is no privacy whatsoever- even when you talked about your personal circumstances. The boy sitting next to me was constantly fidgeting and muttering to himself, which didn’t help either.
Initially I said to the girl at the front desk that I wanted to take a specific IT course & am willing to pay. She seemed to frown when I said I am not receiving any benefit. She said "you have to take this assessment anyway". So I was forced to take literacy and maths tests, which wasn't really explained to me over the phone. After that, one of the staff (tutor?) said I must come back to take further tests to obtain English and maths qualifications. I had already spent a good 3 hours there and I had no intention to come back to spend more time on these subjects. I said to him, again the same things. Then guess what this guy said, “you must go through 7 modules of the computer course and then, you can get the qualification. They will be all free ”. Yeah- that’s great. But I wasn't after this option. Because I've already got good IT qualifications. All I wanted to do was brush up my skills for that particular software, with some advanced functions. He persuaded me for another good 10 mins in front of the rest of the people why “I should take this qualification in order to find a job”. I found this lecture incredibly patronising, despite the fact that he knows nothing about my background.
When I still insisted on what I wanted, finally he said “you have to pay”. I said that’s fine – I know that but I was advised to go to the centre, because I might get a discount and tutor support. What he had said next shocked me - the total cost is more that what was described on the website (because I am not on benefits) and as a result, their prices are not much different to taking the same course in evening classes in Adult Education – which will be tutor led. I found the cost of online learning much lower – but what he told me was different, as there are additional costs not mentioned on the website. This is confusing and I already lost my motivation to study through Learndirect. I really think customer service advisors should provide more accurate information other than telling us to go to a centre and get more information from there. Otherwise, what’s the reason for having this helpline? I wasted my time and I never want to go back to that centre. I certainly would not recommend it to my friends.

• brittle1906 published 24/03/2009
    Welcome to Ciao and thank you for your enlightening review. On a similar line to frain2005's comment, a relative of mine was seriously considering learndirect, I have forwarded your review to him as a precaution. Thank you again. Linda x
  • frain2005 published 24/03/2009
    Disgraceful Service, Thanks for the review. I was thinking of taking these courses now i will reconsider. x

Product Information : learndirect.co.uk