letsbuyit.com

Shopping Portals

Review of "letsbuyit.com"

published 25/04/2001 | jwdcruicks
Member since : 16/03/2001
Pro Great idea in principle, shame about the reality
Cons No products!

"noyoucanthaveit.com"

I have only had one experience with Letsbuyit.com and I can clearly and without doubt say it will be the last experience I ever have with them. Two weeks ago, I joined a co-buy for a 28inch widescreen Samsung tv at an amazing £279.(after trawling the internet for the model elsewhere I could only find the next cheapest to be £344 so I thought this was a price to grab and quick!!)
It was already at the best price so I was confidently happily waiting for my TV to arrive when the co-buy ended. I received my confirmational email saying I had joined and the TV would be mine shortly, and my account debited on the 19th of April. The 19th came and went, so did the 20th, and so I checked my letsbuyit.com account. The funny thing was it said I had not participated in any co-buys! I emailed them immediately to find out what was going on and then emailed them again the next day after no reply. Then again the next day. Finally I received a response, it said basically said that I had lost the TV due to either an error on my part , ie no money in my account, or through a corrupted server transfers. Well, for maybe the first time in my life I actually knew I had plenty of money in my account. I contacted my bank and was told that at NO point had letsbuyit.com even attempted to make a debit from my account. Very curious I thought.

By now I'm a little mad, I had been searching for a TV for several weeks finding everything I really wanted just out of my proce range and this was ideal. I really wanted the TV that they had assured me I could buy.

I emailed again and was basically eventually told, ok it must have been us that made a mistake, but thats just tough you simply cant have the TV now. I was told to go back to the site and pick something else and basically was told to stop emailling because they werent prepared to help me out at all. The emails were all very courteous, but all very bluntly unhelpful and basically i think I would have had better luck banging my head against a brick wall.

I am trying to find out at present if Letsbuyit.com have an obligation to live up to the sale as I have my confirmational co-buy email, and an admission that it was their fault that they would not sell my the TV afterall.

The thing I am also curious about and if anyone else out there tried to partake in this cobuy I'd love to know if they were sucessful. The reason for this is that at the moment on the site they are selling the smaller 24inch widescreen samsung for £10 more! My curiosity is based around the possibility that (having read some other opinions on letsbuyit.com and finding out they dont actually have the items they are selling until after the co-buy closes when they then try to obtain them) maybe they realised after the co-buy that they couldnt actually get the 28inch at such a low price and conveniently ditched the co-buyers. I mean, its a little strange that they can offer a 28inch for £279 but the 24" for £289! May be this is just my curiosity getting the better of me and being influenced by such a bad service.
The bottom line is that I am so unimpressed at their service, their reliability, and the fact that they simply didnt live up to what I understood to be an agreement.