Review of "linkedin.com"

published 14/07/2017 | ravingreviewer
Member since : 28/03/2014
Ciao police (AKA other members) are now policing even my about me!
Good
Pro None noted.
Cons Too slow.
Quality of Service
Speed of Service
Quality of Help

"Another link in the chain?"

A few years ago when last looking for a job, I was advised by my then job advisor on joining the world of LinkedIn - something she said I could use to improve my chances of looking for work or making contacts, and then using the site to improve and build on different connections once in work. But not that it actually did anything for me as such as we shall soon see, as I have found all of my jobs in recent years through other ways or means.

LinkedIn is a social media site on the internet, and it has been described to me on many an occasion as the more professional one out of the main three - Facebook being more of the social side of social media; Twitter as a mix of professional and social, and LinkedIn as more of the professional one whereby people would perhaps more contacts from a business type point of view in a more professional way than the others that I have already mentioned.

My own personal usage of it has been on the whole to do what was advised of me in the first place, that is to find work - although potential employment is not advertised on here as one would be able to find it perhaps more freely in other places, although I have had almost as many links to potential jobs sent to me through here as I have had in other places too.

It is completely free to sign up to LinkedIn, although there is a small area that requires you to sign up to a Premium Service if you wish to use this - this is around £23 a month, and all it lets you do is to fully see who has been looking at your account. All you need to sign up is an email address, which you use when creating your account along with your name and a password. And once you are properly up and running on the site, you can then take your time in creating your own profile - providing of course how serious you are about using it to make links with other like minded people.

The layout of the site is pretty bulk standard, with your main news feed page showing when you first sign in - although whatever you post is called an 'article' which would be the same as a 'tweet' on Twitter or a 'post' on Facebook. Along the top are various other buttons to click on - My Network, which shows your connections (the same as a friend list); Jobs, which show any jobs that may match your profile; Messaging, which is really quite self explanatory; Notifications which tell you when someone generates activity on your account, and then finally a link to your own personal profile which allows you to update it as and when necessary.

And in order to make connections with the right people on the site (as well as connecting with your real life friends), you are given the opportunity to list several skills and other such endorsements that include your working history - this then almost automatically links in with other similar profiles, and in very much a similar way to Facebook gives you suggested connections to make.

However it has to be said that unlike Facebook or Twitter, LinkedIn is more slower in terms of the information it generates one feels - and it is not through lack of connections as I have a large number of these, but because it is more of a 'professional' website it doesn't really get used like that. People who need to make connections in the business world seem to do so in other ways these days, even on the Internet they seem to use other ways and means.

And so therefore, I do not really have that much time or space for this particular website and so I am not really finding it worthy enough of a recommendation - and so therefore if you are planning on networking on a professional level for whatever reason, use something else.

Thanks for reading!

• kiss_me2070 published 17/07/2017
    VH
  • Secre published 17/07/2017
    I am on here but find it pretty useless.
  • justarube published 17/07/2017