jayandfoo 4

jayandfoo

Member since:01.01.1970

P-Lush!

29.07.2005

Advantages:
Wide range of products, natural products, not tested on animals

Disadvantages:
can be quite expensive

34 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. donnabroom
  2. elephants69food_0
  3. shewhosings
  1. Reynarda
  2. DarkDave
  3. funkyjo

I first encountered Lush when shopping in Manchester. I didn't notice it immediately but rather by the lovely mixture of smells permeating from it's shop. I went in and was greeted with a multitude of soaps, bath balls and the like. I didn't buy anything - the soaps were lovely but quite expensive so I reluctantly left the shop empty handed.

However, last Christmas I was frantically searching the internet to see what I could buy my Auntie for Christmas. As well as being my auntie, she is my best friend and so I wanted to buy her something special that she wouldn't usually buy for herself. I thought back to the day in Manchester when I had found the Lush shop and had a look to see if they had a website. After quickly trying lush.co.uk, I was taken to their website. My Auntie was thrilled with the goodies I chose for her and since then, I have ordered from Lush online a couple of times.

My most recent visit to lush.co.uk was on Tuesday 26th July 2005. I felt like treating myself and thought of no better place to go than Lush.

Who are Lush?

Lush are a Worldwide yet down to earth company who sell a range of natural handmade bath and body products including soaps, bath bombs, shampoos, fragrances and specialty products.

Lush products were officially launched in May 1995. However, the team responsible for the Lush products were working together well before this time, and even created successful products for the Body Shop

Originally based in Poole, Dorset, where their Head Office still resides, Lush grew into an international company, still hand-making fresh products but now in a number of different factories around the world.

The Website
There are a good number of Lush stores dotted all around the UK. However, it is much easier for me to sit at my desk and order online. The only down side to ordering online is the postage price and not actually being able to touch or smell the items you want to order.

The Website is easy on the eye and one of the most uncomplicated websites I have come across. Although it's not a fancy website, it does it job, and it does it well.

On the main screen of their website, you can immediately see what options you have. The options are:

Gifts:
Lush have a large range of 'Gift Packs', ranging from small 'Shampoo Tins' to huge boxes full of their most popular soaps and cosmetics. Prices can range from £1.95 to a staggering £99.50!

Many items in the Gift section already come Gift wrapped. For items that aren't gift wrapped but are intended as a present, you can pay for gift wrapping - £3.50 for an item to be gift wrapped, no matter how big. This also includes the gift being decked with a ribbon.

Products:
Here you can view Lush's huge range of products, from Hair care to fragrances. Examples of the ranges are:

Bath Ballistics:
A multitude of round perfumed balls that are intended to be thrown into your bath before you get in. The ball fizzes and dissolves, leaving a lovely fragrance - obviously the fragrance is determined upon with ball you buy. My favourite one has to be the Gingerman Ballistic - my bath smells good enough to eat! Prices start from £1.70
Bubble Bar Slices:
There are currently around 13 different Bubble Bar Slices available from Lush. Each piece of Bubble Bar Slice contains bubbly fine-smelling essential oils. To use a Bubble Bar Slice, crumble it under the running bath water to create a huge bubble filled bath. Prices start from £1.50

Soaps:
This is my favourite section of the website - the soaps from Lush are gorgeous! What's more, the soaps are available in 100g and 200g.

All Lush soaps are vegetarian, and most are vegan too. The soaps scent your body with fragrant fruit and flower essential oils and are made with as many fresh products as they can pack in. A green V will be displayed by all of the soaps suitable for vegans.

Some of the soaps, such as Rock Star contain little stars on top. Because Lush soaps are made in huge blocks, you sometimes won't get a star on your soap. Lush do advise this but to me it is all part of the thrill - will I or won't I get a star?!

My favourite soap the moment is I Should Coco. This is a natural coconut soap with small, coconut bits within it, which serves to exfoliate the skin. I used this soap whilst showering this morning and can still smell the fragrance on my skin now.

Prices of the soaps range from £1.85 per 100g to £4.25 per 100g.

I am also a huge fan of the Lush skincare range. They supply everything from refreshing toners, to nourishing hand cream. My most recent order included a 100g tub of Smitten Hand cream for £4.95. This Almond scented hand cream is one of the best hand creams I have come across and lasts months - only a small amount needs to be applied and leaves the hands feeling silky and healthy.

However, beware of the prices for some of the items within the skincare range - a tub (albeit a 45g tub!) of 'Gorgeous' moisturiser costs £35.00 a pot.

Specials:
Lush are able to provide gifts for Corporate and Special occasions, such as employee gifts and weddings. For details and quotations, Lush asks that you contact them.

Testing:
Lush don't test any of their products on animals - a major factor for many people wishing to buy cosmetics they aren't tested on animals and this certainly influenced my decision to order from Lush - it goes to show that perfectly gorgeous soaps and cosmetics don't have to be tested on animals.

Order process:
Once you have selected what you want to order, you can then checkout. Lush accept all major debit and credit cards and so there should always be a payment option to suit you.

Before proceeding with the order, you are able to review your basket to ensure that all details are correct. Standard postage is £3.95 and Lush advise that it can take anything from 7-10 days for your order to be received. I was therefore happily surprised when I received the order I had made on 26th July, only 2 days later on 28th July.

If you are willing to pay £5.95, you can opt for next day delivery, providing that you order is placed before 1pm that day.

To complete the order, you are required to enter your name, address, delivery address (if different), email address and payment details. Once these details have been processed, an email if received immediately advising you of your unique order number and contact details should you have any concerns or problems with regards to the order.

After that, it's a matter of waiting!

Additional Website features:
A full list of products and services can be viewed on their website. Additional services can also be accessed, such as a member Forum for all of you Lush fanatics, whereby you can review products your favourite products, advertise products you want and have a general chat.

Terms & Conditions of the use of the website are also available to view.

The Delivery:
As previously mentioned, my items arrived much quicker than expected. They were well packed in a cardboard box with my name and address clearly typed out. There was a good amount of 'Lush' tape to keep the box and its contents intact.

The contents of the box were well protected by lots of compact shredded paper. I was also provided with a copy of Lush's Newsletter, Lush Times. A receipt of my purchase was also enclosed.

Where are they?
As well as a world wide website, Lush literally have shops all around the world, from Australia to Taiwan. If you would rather shop in store than online, consult their website to locate your nearest shop, their 'Where is Lush' section on their website will tell you all you need to know.

Problems or Concerns:
I have never had to contact Lush with regards to any of the orders I have made. However, I would presume that they take as much pride in their customers as they do their products and so I would have not hesitation in contacting them, should I have a problem.

Finally…..
I am extremely pleased with my purchases. Although one item looked slightly different than the picture on their website, I accepted that handmade products will never look the same. I didn't get a Star on my Rock Star soap…maybe next time!!!!

I am more than happy with the service from lush.co.uk. Although the products are expensive (I spent nearly £20.00 on hand cream, two soaps and a lip balm), they really are worth it not only for quality but for the sheer gorgeousness of the items.

www.lush.co.uk
orders@lush.co.uk
Tel: 01202 668545 (9am - 7pm Mon-Fri)
Fax: (0)1202 661832

Reynarda 03.11.2005 18:07

I am a BIG fan espec of Godiva shampoo/conditioner bar which smells just like Flying Fox shower gel, my other fav. Cant wait until January when they give you a LARGE size free! Great review! Thanks, Jo

donnabroom 23.09.2005 14:49

This is a really good Lush review. Donna x

AJ26 13.08.2005 22:47

never tried any of their products but they seem really popular