llbcollin... 5

llbcollins

Member since:01.01.1970

Probably the best job website ever

14.04.2011

Advantages:
Monster . com really puts your CV where it needs to be seen

Disadvantages:
May not appear to be unique from other job websites, but it is better established

16 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. catsholiday
  2. TheHairyGodmother
  3. Myredpip
  1. tipsyrabbit

I can't believe that nobody has reviewed Monster.Com on the review website I am writing this review on, for Monster is in my opinion one of the most established job search websites and one of the best. I have my CV on many job websites, but I can recall countless phonecalls that I have had over the years of employers, particularly job agencies saying that they have found my CV on Monster and would I be interested in being put forward for being considered for certain positions. When this happens you really know that a job site where you have registered your CV is really working for you and getting you noticed. I am not a rocket scientist or nuclear physicist, but registering on this website and getting contacted on a regular basis, can really make you feel like you are being headhunted, and that you do have skills of value, at least your cv is being positioned for high visibility of recruiters who are likely to value your skills. I cannot testify that I have ever got a job from Monster, because interviews are my weak point, and I have survived quite nicely in work most of my life that has not required getting through too many interviews, but it is nice to know that Monster is doing its job and agencies are finding me through Monster and putting me forward to relevant employers seeking the kind of skills I have.

It is very simple to setup a monster account, and when you log into your user profile you can see a count of how many times your cv or cvs have been viewed. Monster.com is possibly unique in this, in that it allows you to have more than one CV setup in your user profile, and you can turn them off and make them private, if you have still got tweeks to carry out on them, or you can turn them on and make them public. For example I could have two or more CVs listed on Monster.com that reflect my life experience, e.g. my first CV could be listed with the heading Book Keeper with Telecoms experience, or my second listed CV I could have a heading such as 'Immediately available' and dumb down another version of my searchable CVs and this CV listing could focus more on my casual student jobs, drop the last two years of working as a consultant from home, and simply say I have been a home maker, both CVs would be true, but would appeal to different agencies and employers looking for different things.

Monster.Com is older than facebook and youtube, and I believe at the time when this website was promoted a lot in the Media it really set a new precedent for bringing job hunting to the internet. I have been using this website for perhaps over ten years now, from when I used to temp in London to present day when periods of my own self employment are low and I need to find work.

What was unique about Monster.com, is that the way many temporary workers like myself used to search for work was by going into the high street offices of Adecco, Blue Arrow or viewing the display boards of the job centre, or simply going directly to company websites to find out if the companies were advertising jobs directly on their own website, whereas Monster.com you feel that your CV is positioned right for people who are proactively looking for someone of your kind of skills. When you search monster.com jobs you will see that it lists jobs for other recruitment agencies as well as for employers direct, and those agencies are often also searching the exisiting CVs on Monster.

Monster.com had a big TV advertising campaign many many years ago, about dealing with your 'Monsters', a bit like the zany tango adverts, if you weren't really attentive to that kind of advertising you could possibly have missed the point, whereas for people like myself who were continually looking for employment, Monster.com had achieved a quite memorable and easy name to type in for a web address. The name of the website in my opinion is quite clever, at a time people were carpet bagging, ie purchasing domain names in bulk, rather than having a domain name like findmeajob.com, needajob.com, jobs.com, pretty boring names, and there are thousands of them, Monster.com took the line that clever companies such as Confused.com take today. You don't automatically know what the company does from its name, but once you know the name you won't forget it, or mistake the website name with the competition, e.g. who would think that Tango was a fizzy orange drink, or that Confused.com sell car insurance. When you use Monster.com you will be impressed by the websites features and you won't forget the name easily.

It is possibly one of the best job websites on the Internet, I have used other job website such as Total Jobs and Planet Recruit, but I haven't found the user contol panel on those websites as nice to use as Monster.Com.

If you go to Monster.com website you will see that it is an international recruitment website, it covers Europe, North America, South America, Middle East, Asia and Pacific Rim. If you are thinking of relocating this would be a great website to use to try and research what jobs are available abroad.

One of the features I loved about Monser.com ten years ago, was that I could paste my CV directly into one of the large fields on the website, and this would become instantly searchable by employers and recruiters using the website, whereas other job websites would force me to input employment and education history into many individual text boxes. This really used to irk me about other job websites, and as someone who has spent many hours putting my cv together in a certain way, with a long list of employments, I didn't like having to spend hours deconstructing the CV, choping it up, reorganising the order to input into lots of individual fields and text boxes. Imagine you were doing a product review on a product review website and you already had a beautifully written out review, but you had to use individual boxes on a product review website to describe colour, texture, usefulness, attractiveness, where to find the product, age of product and many other attributes of the product. Somethings you might not be able to define in a box, especially a box that limits characters, the job that you have been doing for two years or more shouldn't be limited to the same number of characters as a job that you have doing for just one week. Monster.com still has the feature that you can copy paste your CV directly into one large field, or it can even support importing some types of files if your CV is on certain document types.

One of the features that Monster.com has, that many job websites have now, is you can setup customised email notifications, which you can receive on a daily basis of the type of jobs that you are looking for within the distances you are prepared to travel. Also, you don't have to limit yourself to one customised email notification, you can setup many with different profile names, for the different types of work you would consider.

If you see a job you like on the website or in your email notifications, once you click on the link to see the job, if you are interested in pursuing it further, you can on one click submit your CV application there and then to most employers without having to enter further details all over again, or you have the option to use cover letters that you have used before on Monster, or create a brand new one.

If you are looking for a job I can definitely recommend registering with Monster. Its features may not be that unique compared to most job websites today, but it has been doing what it has been doing for a longtime, and I think it is a case that Monster.com set the standard for recruitment websites and many of its ideas and features have been copied and incorporated into less established websites, which don't necessarily yield the same results as putting your CV on Monster would.

catsholiday 15.04.2011 12:38

It is indeed a very useful job site

jesi 14.04.2011 23:10

I've heard of Monster.com, but never used it myself (nor for my husband, who is a teacher) . . . I used to go round and register with the agencies, but I was never as successful as my 'go-getter' daughter . . . I wasn't as young as her either . . . ~ ♥ Jesi ♥