Review of "moonfruit.com"

published 15/04/2001 | mareth
Member since : 01/03/2001
Pro easy to understand, free, can create several sites
Cons slow navigation

"Lack of experience no problem"

As a complete novice, I have tried my hand at building 'instant' websites several times without success. Purely by chance I saw a program on TV about the various web building guides and sites including moonfruit.com

It looked easy on the TV programme so I visited this site and decided to try it out.

Building a website was pretty simple using step by step instructions and within about one and a half hours I had created my very own site. There are a myriad of colours, designs and layouts to choose from and I was pleased with the outcome. My first attempt was very basic but I'm sure after a bit of juggling and changing I will be able to produce a pretty good looking site. The menus are easy to follow.

There are pre-defined pages according to what kind of site you want to build i.e. sports club, friends/family, business etc. You are not limited to using these pages though, and can add and delete pages till you get the look you are after. Each page, and sections within a page can be edited separately. I did not succeed in adding images however, but that was mainly down to the limited time I spent building the site. I hope to try again soon.

Navigation was quite slow so a bit of patience is needed but the end result is worth the wait. It has increased my confidence to see a site I have built myself, albeit with help from moonfruit. You are not restricted to building one site, so you can play around and experiment a bit with different styles.

Moonfruit also applies on your behalf to submit your site to various search engines so in almost no time at all you could have a live site. They do say that it can take up to a month to go 'live' however, so if you are in a hurry, it's probably not for you. I have only had one attempt at this so far, so I will be visiting the site again soon to see what I can produce.

• Collingwood21 published 29/04/2001
    I've not heard of this one before. I had tried to learn HTML to build up a website, but it is just so complex - something likethis sound much better!
  • Scotslady published 15/04/2001
    I am looking at various programs and sites at the minute but haven't tried this one. I need an idiot's guide :S
  • rawduu published 15/04/2001
    Good op. I'm no good with computers either so this would be a great help. Thanks for the advice :) Radu