myprotein.com

published 29/07/2008 | subtext
Member since : 29/07/2008
Satisfactory
Pro Cheap prices.
Cons Poor quality 'generic' supplements; Slow delivery; Poor packaging.

"Multiple poor experiences"

After my dog was diagnosed with hip dysplasia this year, I have used myprotein.co.uk twice for Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements because it is cheaper to get them this way than through a vet (my vet actually recommended going the High Street route). I am posting this review because I am suspicious about the glowing, somewhat generic, five star reviews appearing on Froogle (via Ciao), from users who have only ever posted a single review. Needless to say, many of them contradict my own experiences.

From a delivery point of view, I find myprotein.co.uk to be a little slow for an online supplier -- on one occasion having to nudge them via email after two weeks to see what happened to the Now Foods Chondroitin (600mg) supplement I had ordered. Another week later, it arrived.

Lack of expertise also seems to be a problem. When I attempted to place a repeat order for the Now Foods Chondroitin (600mg) supplement, I discovered they no longer stocked it, and upon raising a ticket, was recommended a mixed supplement containing only 1/3 the Chondroitin (200mg), and other ingredients that were not required. I only hope they aren't giving the same advice to humans with joint conditions who have less understanding of these supplements. 200mg of Chondroitin is not "as good as" 600mg of Chondroitin at all, and under-dosage might exacerbate any condition for which a proper dosage is required.

myprotein.co.uk would do well to use a "this advice is only a guideline and did not come from a medical professional" disclaimer at the bottom of their support tickets. There are lots of ambulance chasing lawyers out there, after all.

Finally, I recently ordered 360xGlucosamine (1000mg) capsules from myprotein because they were so cheap. But despite their claims that their Glucosamine is a "great quality product", I discovered (after the usual 1+ week delivery time) that over 100 tablets were shattered, and the others would crumble and turn to powder in my hand. This is contrary to an experience with Holland and Barrett Glucosamine (1000mg), of which I have to discover a single broken pill after over six months of use. H&B no doubt charge more because their product is stable and not likely to turn to pixie dust in transit.

In fairness to myprotein.co.uk they offered to replace the product, but by this point I'd lost confidence and threw the Glucosamine into the bin. If the pills are of such poor quality that they turn to dust with little handling, why would I want a replacement? The health of my dog is more important than questionable supplements, so I returned to H&B, paid the £35 extra, and got a supplement I felt I could trust.

• subtext published 20/08/2008
    I am very clear that the customer service is substandard Paul Groves. "Only my first review" eh? Well you only posted one review too. Two years ago to be precise. About MyProtein.co.uk, on exactly the same date as lots of other five star reviews about this company. And after a two year absence, you return to fish for a positive angle to my review? What is your connection with this company exactly?
  • paulgrove published 07/08/2008
    Interesting review thanks, but its only your first review and the customer service offered seemed fair?
  • babesmagnet published 29/07/2008