pcspecialist.co.uk

Review of "pcspecialist.co.uk"

published 25/11/2009 | Pooky3
Member since : 25/11/2009
Satisfactory
Pro Good spec for the price
Cons Very poor build quality, poor customer service, time-consuming
Layout & Design
Navigation
Site content & information
Range of services/products
Prices

"Great price, poor quality"

PC Specialist seem to be really good value for money in relation to their specifications however the likelihood of having to spend so much more on righting their faults makes the overall cost huge. Their team aren't very helpful and do not sound at all interested on the phone.

My experience with them:
So, I ordered a laptop from PC Specialist in January this year, my budget was £500 but was advised by a friend (who recommended the company to me) that to get the spec I needed that I should up my budget. I ended up getting a great spec for £785 and chose the collect&return for the 1 year warranty (good job!). Received the laptop in February, not too long after the expected build time, the top of the laptop was slightly scratched but as I wasn't there to receive the laptop I figured PC Specialist would say that I should have checked before signing for it, so I left it be.
Everything else was great, the appearance was much better than I'd antiscipated and it ran my games great. A couple of months down the line I placed a DVD in the DVD drive and it wouldn't play, the drive just made whirring sounds, I figured there may have just been something wrong with that disk. However, a few weeks later the same happened again but this time with a game. I needed my laptop (being a student) so I didn't do anything about it as the disks weren't something I needed anyway. I then received a game I'd been waiting for for forever and found that the same happened with that disk, I tried a lot to get it to work and found that if a disk is put in at a certain angle it'd work. So I contacted PC Specialist, told them the problem and they sent out a new (different brand, newer manufactured date) drive and I sent back my old one - no problems there (though for the money I didn't expect it to happen). Then about a month ago I found one of my USB ports had the pins exposed (after i tried to insert my flash drive into it), this short circuited something and the laptop would sometimes work, sometimes not. A few weeks before this my touchpad started going crazy every so often and my laptop would also lose internet connection. So I, again, contacted PC Specialist, they told me to send the whole laptop back, I asked for collection on a Thursday (placed the RMA on a Thursday, wanting the next Thursday), and DHL tried to collect the following day (Friday, the morning that my RMA was only just accepted). When DHL failed to try and collect again I phoned up DHL who told me the collector had put down that he'd collect the package! They had to phone the people the man worked for and then phone back to say when it would be collected. Had it collected the Tuesday after the Thursday it was meant to be collected and received a call the following Monday (by, in my opinion, a very bored sounding man) who told me that my warranty doesn't cover damaged items and that it's company policy so I have to pay £40 to get my USB fixed or get back my laptop un-fixed. I told him that I am so careful with my laptop (which I am, £785 is a lot of money - especially being a student) and that it breaking is not my fault, I've not put anything in that wouldn't fit etc. but that didn't matter I had to pay the £40 - so I did and he assured me that the touchpad and wireless card was also dealt with (whether they are or not I'm yet to find out). I then received the laptop 2 days later, in a much smaller box than I'd first got it in (a large TV size box). Took it out, turned it on and noticed that the keypad now has a raised area, as if the board that the keys are on had been bent up over. I now am having to contact them again and I'm guessing they'll tell me I can't prove that they done it or that it was damaged in transit..I know fine well you cannot cause that sort of internal damage in transit and it certainly wasn't in that state when I sent it in! I would not recommend PC Specialist to anybody, friend or not. I love my laptop but I expected it to last 3-5 years and after this many problems in not even a year I dread to think how much it is going to cost me in the long run.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 01/10/2016
    OK
  • sharper_fin published 23/02/2015
    Any company that offers its customers "incentives" to write reviews will always get a "not helpful" from me
  • TheHairyGodmother published 09/12/2010
    at last - a genuine review on this company!