hollywood... 4

hollywoodmum

Member since:25.09.2006

Easier Than Easy Jet

30.03.2009

Advantages:
Much Cheapness, Special Offers, Very Easy to navigate

Disadvantages:
Handling fee

31 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. ben-lloyd
  3. Templar19
  1. wsxok1

Before you read this is just to let you know that my review is of the Ryan Air website, the booking process and my experience of using the website not the actual flights as I have not yet been on them.

Navigation
The Ryan Air hompage is quite self explanatory . Across the top you will find different tabs for other service Ryan Air provide (or their partners) for car hire, cheap hotels, travel insurance, the Ryan Air credit car, etc, etc.
Underneath this there are more tabs , manage my booking (for people who have already booked a flight), destinations, News, Timetables, Contact Customer Services.
In the centre of the page is the main search for flights which is the usual drop down boxes. But on the left hand side of the screen is where Ryan Air advertises itís latest special offers, which today is 1 Million Seats for £10 per person for flights during April, May and June, although here I will point out that this offer isnít on every route and also does not include airport taxes or other fees and charges.

So once you have searched for flights to your chosen destination and dates you can travel you will then be transferred to the next page where you can select which of the available flights you wish to take. This will show the fare plus it will also show airport taxes so it gives a much clearer view of what you will actually paying.. After selecting your flights you will then be shown an itinerary page where you confirm your flights by accepting the terms and conditions. Please note that this will state the price but underneath it does say excluding handling fee (I missed this the first time but will get back to that later on).

After this itís time to enter the details of the travellers and you will be offered optional extras, which all come at a cost.. To take one suitcase could cost up to £30, if you opt to take no bags you still get a hand luggage allowance of 10kg and can check in online rather than at the airport. Priority boarding is £6 and insurance is £9.49. On this page you can also selected to carry sports equipment or select Special Assistance for passengers with disabilities when your through with this itís time to enter your card details through their secure payment system, this takes about 45 seconds to confirm payment. You will then be given a booking reference and they send you a confirmation email.

My Experience
My boyfriendís birthday was coming up and he suggested we try and get away for a couple of days at first we were thinking more this country but then he suggested that with so many budget airlines around it might be worth going somewhere abroad for a couple of days. I entered Cheap Flights into Google and Ryan Air was one of the first to come up. We live in Manchester and to tell you the truth I was a little disappointed by the choice of routes from Manchester but Liverpool is also close enough for us to get to so we checked out the destinations from there too. There was much more choice from Liverpool. The great thing for us was that on the day we booked there were2 offers on, £10 flights to selected destinations and no airport taxes if you booked before midnight. Because I could only get my ex to have my kids for a couple of days we really didnít want to be travelling for ages so we were thinking of somewhere in Spain but Barcelona and Madrid werenít included in the offer at the time. I just went through all the destinations on list and found Liverpool to Treviso (Venice) , the flight time wasnít so long and neither of us has been to Italy before so we decided to book it. It was all so easy, we selected our flights , from the optional extras we chose 0 bags and online check in, we also decided to purchase annual travel insurance from another company which in the long run works out cheaper, we also werenít bothered about having priority boarding so that was it 2 return flights from Liverpool to Venice £40 Brilliant!
My boyfriend found this so brilliant that he has also decided that we are going away for my Birthday in June and booked Liverpool to Carcassonne (France) again the fare was £40 for the both of us return but what he didnít look at was handling fees, when I booked Venice these were included on the no fees or taxes offer, he assumed it would be the same and didnít read the small print the was charged about £19.40 for each of us and didnít realize until he got his email confirmation.
Well we have already completed our online check in, which was very easy, you just need the confirmation ref, the passport numbers , and personal details of each passenger and hey presto you can print off your boarding passes there and then. We fly tomorrow so I will tell what I think of the actual airline when we get back.

Overall
The booking process is so easy Iím pretty sure my kids couldíve done it and to be honest I found cheaper flights on Ryan Air than I ever have done on Easy Jet or BMI Baby. The special offers are great and are on pretty much all the time but itís a bit misleading as it doesnít apply to a lot of destinations and some dates (particularly weekends). I also found the choice of destinations from Manchester very disappointing and the handling charge was a bit much but we still got some bargains so canít complain too much.

ben-lloyd 11.06.2009 18:16

I love Ryanair ;-)

wsxok1 06.04.2009 12:30

Good review

mumsymary 04.04.2009 10:49

Good review , we have used them found thhem ok