sgr.org.uk

sgr.org.uk

Review of "sgr.org.uk"

published 21/08/2001 | Smith
Member since : 26/07/2000
Pro Full ethical/environmental discussions across science and technology.
Cons Still under construction

"Scientists for Global Responsibility"

Scientists for Global Responsibility (www.sgr.org.uk) according to their website:

"...promotes the ethical practice and use of science and technology. We are playing our part in the worldwide development, by scientists and citizens, of a new conception of the role of science and scientists in a socially responsible democratic society. Our work involves research, education, lobbying and providing a support network for ethically-concerned scientists."

So there you have it. This is a wonderfully fresh view of careers for scientists and engineers who are worried about ethics, the environment, and similar issues. With so many companies engaging in military/government/environmental damaging work, I was amazed to find out about this organisation.

Only formed back in 1992, they are still getting themselves together really. The main thing I am interested in is their Ethical Careers Guide and Ethical Employers Database, which are still being constructed. However, these will be invaluable to me in 3 years time, once I complete my PhD in laser physics, and I believe that other people interested in ethical issues will also find this very useful indeed.

If you are looking for ethical careers in the science and engineering sectors you absolutely MUST check this site out. Though the site itself still needs quite a bit of work, I'm going to give this full marks, if only because what they are trying to do is vitally important, and they are going about it in the right way ...

• CPuff published 23/08/2001
    Excellent! I've been looking for ethical careers advice for some time now. I'll have to check it out ...

Product Information : sgr.org.uk