Autarkis 3

Autarkis

About me: Some more rates on my Flanimals book review would be appreciated, and returned! 23:01.2012: Received autism diagnosis for my precious son. Everyday is magical with my little boy.

Member since:04.12.2008

Not so Snap Happy Now

10.01.2010 (01.12.2010)

Advantages:
Fast delivery service, Great Customer service

Disadvantages:
Average quality to pictures

Recommendable No:

77 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. ben-lloyd
  2. happysh2009
  3. hillhead
  1. Kukana
  2. Soho_Black
  3. K2705

Having two children I am always taking pictures of them like any proud parent, I have taken a lot more pictures of my 25 month old son, as digital cameras have taken over which means you can snap away and take as many pictures as you like which can be stored and edited on your computer.

I have a preferred photo printing site that I use whenever I need or want pictures printed or gifts made from my pictures. However I am a member of the Hipp baby club so I occasionally get emails from them for different on-line offers. One of these emails they had sent alerted me to an offer that Snapfish the on-line photo processing company were running on their photo mugs which they had at half price. I was struggling to think of something to buy for a family member and thought a photo mug would be a nice gift. So I thought I would make use of the offer code. I had never used Snapfish before but I had heard of them. I also decided to take advantage of the free prints you get on registration with Snapfish.

The on-line site has a simple and clean look to it, with hotlinks to the main features.
Registration is simple and straight forward, asking for all the usual details. This only takes a few minutes to do and once done you're ready to start using the site. The site overall is easy to navigate and use.

Once you have complete the registration process you can then start to upload your photo's into albums which is also easy to do, you create a new album giving it a name and then you can start to upload pictures to the album. You can create multiple albums for your pictures which makes it easy to find the pictures you want to use. This didn't take me very long to upload the pictures that I wanted. This provides the user with the option of reusing photos for various projects without having to re-upload them onto the site thus saving time in future.

Snapfish have similar features to other on-line photo printing sites, such as sharing pictures, creating gifts and editing your pictures.

Once I had uploaded some of my favourite pictures I wanted to use the free 20 prints that I had been given for registering with them. There is a charge for postage which was lower than most other places being only 99p it seemed good to me. So I selected the 20 pictures that I wanted to get printed and then I took up the offer for the photo mug and created a mug by adding pictures and text, there are a few different options of how you can 'decorate' your mug and different options of where you want the picture placing and fonts, styles, and colours to chose from.

Once I was happy with the end product I added it to my basket, at the checkout I filled in the usual payment details and delivery address and then there is a box for promotional codes, so I added the code that I had to get my discount. It all looked right and showed me the amount that I was going to be charged and I proceeded to pay, however once the payment was taken I was charged full price and the money was taken out of my account soon after ordering. I was not pleased so I sent them an email and waited for their response, they were fast in fixing the problem and refunded my account with the amount that I had been over charged.

A couple of days later my photos arrived, I was excited to have a look at them. I found the overall quality of the pictures to not be of the same standard as I have had from other photo developing sites/stores. The quality was okay but not brilliant and I could see finger prints on the pictures and small scratches on a couple of them, I didn't mind too much as I had only paid 99p for them.

Then a few days later the photo mug arrived, to start with the packaging was a bit poor it just came in a plain card box just big enough for the mug, with no presentation box or protection between the mug and the box, I took the mug out from the box it was a standard size and looked like a cheap basic white cup with a picture slapped on it! The photo wasn't completely in line with the mug and there was some paper stuck to the mug where they hadn't removed it from attaching the photo - I guess. The text on the opposite side of the cup and patterns were 'okay' the overall look to the mug was nothing special.

The mug itself was a Christmas present and unfortunately by the time it arrived with me I didn’t have much time so I didn't bother to send the mug back and besides I didn't pay full price for it - I probably would of complained if I had, it was passable and nice enough just not as good as I had hoped for.

I thought the overall service and goods received from Snapfish were of average standard and nowhere near as good as other places I have used. Unfortunately this one purchase with them has put me off using them again even if they have discounts or promotional codes; I will not be tempted by them. I will be sticking with my preferred on-line photo printing site from now on.

Would I recommend them to others? Well no, if you want fast service and don't mind average quality then Snapfish is for you. I think it is like most things, you pay for what you get. I wouldn't pay full price for their services. Sometimes it's better to pay that little bit more.

ben-lloyd 22.01.2010 16:07

I've never used one of these services and you're so-so rating makes me think I won't bother either. ;)

ryann08 16.01.2010 19:46

hmmm...i'll probably stick to printing my photo's off at home

jesi 15.01.2010 23:04

I have never used the UK site as I registered in order to view albums 'shared' with me by my sisters in the USA . . . and I have yet to upload my own . . . I have had my account with them since 2004, and until Snapfish was taken over by hp had no complaint . . . then a year ago I was informed I would need to buy something once a year to maintain my storage facility . . . I bought a 'free album' of 6 prints for which I paid postage . . . this year I bought my 30 free prints and paid £1.57 for postage from USA to the UK ($2.46) I had a choice of finish (matt, glossy; with or without border) and optimum size for the 25 digital prints with normal 6"x4" for the 5 standard shots . . . these were all pictures taken by my siblings in USA, and at a lower cost than if they had sent them to me themselves; I have been pleased with my prints . . . &#9829 jesi &#9829