sound control

sound control

Review of "sound control"

published 18/03/2004 | georgelowes
customer service
range of goods in stock

"Not hugely impressed...."

What's good?

Fantasic amounts of some of the most droolworthy music toys known to man
No pressure to buy

What's not so good?

Some useless staff

Ok, first things first. I had a really bad experience with this shop, so if anyone feels my review is a little scathing, please bear that in mind.

About a year ago I decided I wanted to take up the bass guitar. I looked around a number of shops for a guitar that appealed to me, and in the end decided that the Yamaha RBX170 was the one for me. I tried a few shops in Newcastle, and in the end, Sound Contol seemed the best to go for. They told me that they didn't have one in stock, but they would definitly be able to get one in about a week. "Fantastic" I thought. I handed over the 10% deposit, and left the shop happy in the knowlege that I would be holding my beautiful new bass in my arms a week later.

A week later and I hear nothing, so I popped into the shop to see if they had forgoten about me. Nope, they were just having problems getting hold of one for me. Fair enough I thought, no point being impatient.

This farce carried on for over ten weeks. Never once was I called to apologise, or inform me what was going on. I had to call into the shop and find out what was happening.

I eventually cancelled my order, and was given my deposit back after a fuss. I get the feeling that Sound Control are more than happy to take your money off you, but I guess a £170 guitar wasn't much of a priority for them. It's a shame, because there's some lovely stuff in there, but I'd be really unhappy about handing over my money -at least to the guitar section.

On the flip side, upstairs in the music technology section couldn't be better! The staff are great, and will do anything for you, and are always realy honest about how long things will take. They also have the best guitar tech in Newcastle, where my beautiful 5 string will soon be going for a nice set up...

• PaulL_UK published 18/03/2004
    But they do send you a free magazine! ;)
  • carly_pussycat published 18/03/2004
    shame - the one in Bristol isn't bad :)
  • magicloudz published 18/03/2004
    I won't be going out of my way to pay them a visit:) -Jon

offers "sound control"