General Chat Rooms & Forums

Review of "suite101.com"

published 27/08/2011 | loopy-lou33
Member since : 10/12/2010
Greets to all my lovely readers and raters!
Pro Can write about anything.
Cons The money is rubbish!
Quality of Service
Speed of Service
Quality of Help

"Suite Freedom!"

suite101.com

Want to Write More Than Just Product Reviews?

Don't get me wrong. I really love writing for Ciao and Dooyoo, but I also love writing about more than just product reviews. I have been writing for review sites for 18 months now and have been looking for ways to expand my horizons further. The trouble is, how do you start? The world of freelance writing is a big, intimidating place, and without a good, diverse portfolio, well paid work is difficult to come by. Ideally, I'm sure than most of the writers here on Ciao would love the idea of giving up the day job and becoming a full time writer, but is it just a dream?

I "discovered" Suite 101 just over a month ago. I was searching for something on Google and a Suite article popped up in the search results. The article was well written and answered my question, but after reading the article, I noticed that Suite was looking for new writers. On investigating further, I discovered that I would have to apply by submitting a piece of writing for the editors to evaluate. I actually submitted one of my Ciao articles for them to read! If I didn't meet their standards, I wouldn't be allowed to write for them. in fact, only 20-25% of people that apply to write for Suite actually get through the selection process.
What is Suite 101 exactly?

Suite 101 is a Canadian web magazine. The website has many different sections, and writers can write about any subject they wish, as long as it is not offensive ot adult content. All articles must be accurate factually and backed up with references and sources. No fiction or poetry is allowed on the site.

Writers mainly make money through ad clicks. This means that if someone looks at your article, you won't make any money unless they click on one of the Google adsense ads at the side of the page. If an ad click leads to a specific action, such as a product purchase, you earn slightly more. You can also earn money per 1000 page views. The rate varies, but at the moment it is around $4 for every 1000 page views you get.
Writing for Suite

Writing for Suite is completely different to writing reviews on Dooyoo and Ciao. Once you are accepted , you need to fill in a profile page, along with a photo of yourself and an explanation as to why you are qualified to write! Most writers on Suite have university degrees or experience in a certain field, which I found a bit intimidating, but I mentioned my writing for Ciao and Dooyoo, and then thought of different life experiences and interests that made me qualified to write in certain sections. Once you have filled in your profile you can write your first article on any subject you wish. The article needs to have the correct formatting and you write it in a box, just like on Ciao. Unfortunately, unlike Ciao, the articles to not save automatically, and I have lost my work a couple of times! Each article also needs an appropriate picture, which can be uploaded from a picture sharing site such as Wikimedia Commons.

Once your article is written, you need to submit it to an editor for review. Each section has its own editor. The editors are brilliant, and are there to encourage you and help you write better. They will tell you about any typos and advise on layout and style. if they really like your article, they may feature it in their section, which means that it will get a bigger audience. If they LOVE the article, they may nominate it for an EC award, which is a bit like a Ciao Diamond or Crown on Dooyoo.

The subsequent articles you write can go live straight away, but the editor will still read them at some point. They may make a few changes or give advice, which is great, and always welcome, although some people get a bit stroppy about it and think that their articles are too good to be edited. in my opinion, you need to be humble and able to take a bit of constructive criticism.

MySuite

Each Suite member has a homepage called mysuite. here you can access learning hubs and look at your stats. you can see how many articles you have written and how much you have earned, as well as accessing the forums, which are a great way to get to know your fellow writers and ask questions about different aspects of the site.

A really good feature of mysuite is that you can look at the things that people typed into the serch engine to find your article and see exactly where your traffic is coming from. this enables you to edit your articles to appeal to more people. Suite is big on SEO, search engine optimisation. if you don't know about it, you had better learn, because SEO is the lifeblood of Suite. Basically put, SEO is about writing your articles so that people can find them on a google search. For example, I wrote an article about Wii games and the title was "Getting fit-Wii Style!" It didn't get many hits, because people won't type that phrase into a search engine. A better SEO friendly title would be "Fitness Games fir Wii", which sounds more boring, but will get picked up better on the search engines. I can further apply SEO by including the word "Wii", or phrase "Wii Fitness" in my subheadings and in my picture caption. I actually edited a lot of my initial articles as I learned more about SEO and what the search engines pick up.

Earnings

There are lots of stories about high earners on Suite, people who support themselves off their earnings or use them to pay their mortgage. In reality, I think that these people are the exception rather than the rule, with most Suitees earning more modest amounts! Each month, the site publishes a list of the highest earners. The top guy had over 900 articles to his name! Obviously a lot of work is required to make money on Suite and you have to put the hours in!

The good thing about writing Suite articles is that they are short. My Ciao reviews tend to be over 1000 words long and take me a long time to type out, whereas Suite like their articles to be between 400 and 800 words, which means I can pop them out quite quickly! At the beginning, money is really poor, and after my first couple of weeks on the site, I hadn't even earned a dollar! This can be a bit demoralising, but you have to remember that your articles continue to earn money forever, so the revenue model has a cumulative effect. As you write new articles, they earn, but so do the ones you wrote last month and the month before that. After writing 50 articles, your revenue will increase, and you can also increase revenue in other ways such as applying to be a feature writer or editor after you have been on the site for 3 months. Contributing writers can write as often as they wish, but feature writers are comitted to a certain amount of articles per month. Editors receive an extra $0.50 for every article that features in their section, so some editors are very keen to get people to write in their section.

It is a good idea to write across a broad spectrum of subjects. It can stretch you as a writer, but also helps you realise what you enjoy writing about. The Editor for Wedding Stle asked me to write in her section, and although I was initially a bit dubious about whether I could write well about weddings, I churned out a couple of good articles that were really well received and got some great feedback from the editor, particularly about how to use links in my articles, which I am really grateful for.

I also wrote a few articles about endangered animals, which I really enjoyed doing. Again, they were initially a little out of my comfort zone, but I absolutely loved writing them and the editors were great! You can also write product reviews, with book reviews being particularly popular.

I have now been on the site just over a month, written about 30 articles and earned about $12. Yes, I know it sounds like poor money for the work involved, but I am confident that my articles will continue earning as I write new ones! Payment is via Paypal and all accumulated revenue over $5 is transferred to your Paypal account one a month.

When I joined the site, people were complaining about earnings being down because the site took a hit when Google changed its search algorythm, casuing suite to rank lower than normal in the results. Thankfully, the site has taken remedial action, and revenues are returning to previous levels.

Advantages of Writing for Suite

I have learned all about SEO and how to write better articles. This has had a knock on effect with my review writing too! I love the editorial feedback and training on Suite. The community is great and we don't have to rate each others articles, which saves me a lot of time!!! Everyone is really frindly and supportive. I was initially intimidated at writing on the same site as journalists and experts, but they have welcomed me in as one of their own.

I love the freedom of writing whatever I want. I try to write every day because I find it therapeutic. Every article I write is building a nice portfolio that I may be able to use in the future to get better paid freelance work. Suite hold the digital copyright to all of your articles for a year, but do not have the print rights, so you are free to sell your original articles to newspapers and magazines in print. After a year, you hold all of the copyright to your articles, and can reproduce them on other sites if you wish.

The Downside

I don't think I am going to be one of those people who earns enough to live on from Suite! Earnings are very slow and some articles will never earn anything, because they do not contain the kind of ads that people want to click on. You have no control over the ads that appear on the side of the screen. Sometimes it feels like a lot of work for very little money, and many people give up on the site very early on. A lot of people do not like the revenue sharing model, as it seems that the only people who make any money are the site owners, who still get the cream of your ad revenue, whereas a blog writer gets all of it!

Despite this, Suite 101 is definitely a site for me. I love writing an article every day and I can write about whatever I am thinking about at the time! I love the thrill of seeing my page views and earnings rise every day and the great cameraderie of the other Suitees. If it sounds like something you would enjoy, you should definitely give it a go.

• AnneLorraine1 published 17/09/2011
    Excellently reviewed
  • KarenUK published 09/09/2011
    I tried Helium, but think I'll stick with Ciao & Dooyoo. This one sounds a bit confusing.
  • JOHNV published 03/09/2011
    Excellent review, thanks! I had heard of this but not known much about it, so I will investigate.

Product Information : suite101.com

General Chat Rooms & Forums

Type: General Chat Rooms & Forums

Domain Extension: .com

Listed on Ciao since: 07/05/2001

suite101.com - Review - Suite Freedom!

loopy-lou... 5

loopy-lou33

About me: Greets to all my lovely readers and raters!

Member since:10.12.2010

Suite Freedom!

27.08.2011

Advantages:
Can write about anything .

Disadvantages:
The money is rubbish !

45 Ciao members have rated this review on average: exceptional See ratings
  1. AnneLorraine1
  2. JOHNV
  3. Angela150
  1. NegativeG
  2. KarenUK
  3. TheHairyGodmother

Want to Write More Than Just Product Reviews?

What is Suite 101 exactly?

Writing for Suite

MySuite

Earnings

Pictures of suite101.com
suite101.com 100_1149[1] - suite101.com

Advantages of Writing for Suite

The Downside

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

AnneLorraine1 17.09.2011 00:02