tel:it

tel:it

Review of "tel:it"

published 15/03/2001 | fairydust
Member since : 01/12/2000
Pro Occasionally having use of a landline
Cons see entire opinion!
Line Quality
Customer service quality
Customer service waiting times
Tariffs & Charges
Accuracy of Charges

"UPDATED 23.3.01 Tell it like it is"

....I certainly shall.

Where do I start? This is the worst company I have ever dealt with, and i will never use their company again.

I signed up for a tel:it account in October, with representatives from the company who had a stall at my University Freshers Fair. The University Halls of Residence provide an internal phone, but you must have an account with a phone company in order to get an outside line. I decided that tel:it would be a good way of saving money-not having to spend too much on my mobile. The answer phone service was also a feature which I thought would be particularly helpful.

I received a tel:it account card, giving details of my account number, and set up my mailbox and passwords. I had no problems with the service, initially, but all that soon changed.

Firstly, when I signed up, I opted for the monthly billing option, rather than the direct debit option. I thought this would allow me to keep a tight control on what I was spending, since I had a limited budget. The problem is that I am well into my sixth month of using this company, and am yet to receive a bill. This means that when they finally get around to sending out bills, I will be lumped with a huge bill to pay off at one time, and it will probably be at the end of term when my student loan has already disappeared! I have absolutely no idea how much the bill is likely to come to, and have therefore been afraid to use the phone lately. Several weeks ago, I received a letter saying that I should receive a bill shortly. I’ve yet to see any progress on this front.

Secondly, the network is often not in service-I am unable to ring out or receive calls, and this occurs regularly, and can last for prolonged periods. This means I often have to make (expensive) calls using my mobile. This was one thing I had hoped to avoid by signing up.

Thirdly, the answer phone service often gets confused-it alerts me of new messages when I don’t have any, or fails to alert me when I do receive messages. This proves to be quite annoying, especially when people think I have ignored their message, when in reality I have yet to receive it.

I must point out that it is not just myself who is having problems-they don’t have a personal vendetta against me! Most of the students in University accommodation have tel:it accounts, and are experiencing similar problems. I would advise anyone thinking of signing up to seriously consider other companies before signing up to tel:it – in my opinion, they are much more trouble than they are worth.

UPDATE:

Received my bill this morning-not as bad as expected, and to appologise, they have given me a 10% discount, and have extended the payment period by 2 weeks. Finally ive seen a bill, but this does little to alter my opinion of them-they have still been way to much hassle.

• Eudora published 18/03/2001
    Ah, ACC Telecom/WorldXchange Communications! How we students detest that company! I used them when I started at Bristol University, and had problems then. I left the university in December and didn't get my bill until the following AUGUST! Now at Sheffield University, I don't use the company (opting for mobile instead and payphone/internet at peak hours) having learnt from my past experience. A lot of my friends are very fed up and frustrated by this company and have been messed around *so* much as regards the billing arrangements. I really hope that people stop using this company - they're a complete waste of time.
  • e_l_parker published 15/03/2001
    Excellent opinion, well written and informative. Emma :)

Product Information : tel:it