zoe_page 4

12 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. kimp
  2. sillyssally
  3. julia.kim

Post is a wonderful thing. I usually get at least 2 lovely little envelopes each day, and often more. In fact, the administrators of where I live know be as O7, the girl with the post... I don't often get parcels (unless once a week counts as often) but when I do it perks me up no end. Food parcels, even when I know they’re coming and have paid for them myself, do not disappoint in the slightest.

You might think I’m just a lazy student (and you wouldn’t be entirely wrong) but I do have some valid reasons for shopping online. For example I usually don’t have time to go to one of the big supermarkets with my friends – weekends for me involve being at work and after that the last thing I want to do is go food shopping (although the lovely people at Tesco are trying to convince me otherwise by being open 24 hours, meaning that even when I don’t leave work until 9pm I have no excuse). Then there’s convenience – the decent supermarkets are 20 mins on the bus away which can be a pain. Online shopping was something we got into last year as a cheaper alternative – really. If 3 or 4 of you do it it cost less than bus fares, you can order more and have it brought up to your room for you :-)

The last time I ordered was in September, a few days after arriving back here. I placed my order almost 2 weeks before I wanted it delivered, but the available slots were still limited – all the weekend, early morning and evening ones for weeks ahead had gone so I ended up with a lunchtime one which was ok for me being a student and having nothing better to do apart from collect more freebies at the Freshers’ fair and try and convince all the darling little first years that they should sign up for volunteering.

How You Do It

Log on to tesco.com. If you’ve registered before, log in. If not, register now. Search or browse the “aisles” by entering the product you’re after or clicking on the relevant section. When you see something you want, click to add it to your basket. If you change your mind, click on view basket and delete the offending item. When you’re finished, proceed to checkout and follow the instructions. Not being nasty, but if hungover students can figure it out 3 hours after going to bed, then it’s not exactly hard….

We’ve generally found the quality of the good delivered to be good if not excellent. Although when delivery services first really took off people were worried about quality, I agree with an article I read somewhere about how they’ll pick the best for you as they really want to expand into this area – a few bad experiences and a lot of word of mouth could easily put a stop to it if they managed to upset the wrong type of customer.

Substitutions

Hhmmm. Depending on who picks your order these vary. I supposed it is really a matter of how that member of staff thinks, and what they decide would be appropriate given the lack of the chosen product. For example they didn’t have the vitamins I wanted (chewy, vitamins A, C, D and E) so have to chose between (a) chewy but only vitamin C or (b) not chewy but all vitamins. They chose the former which is better than the latter but still not as good as the original if you get what I mean. When the guy arrived he told me what had changed and said I could return them, but since he didn’t know which of the 20 or so bags they were in, it would have taken a while to locate them and, since I was 2 minutes away from being late for a meeting, I decided to forget it.

Delivery

This costs £5 no matter how much you order although at the moment they’re running a promotion so if it’s your first order, delivery is free. You book a 2 hour slot on the day you want (from the available choices) and it should be delivered within those couple of hours, although we’ve had a few cases when it’s been 30 mins or so late. While they do ring and let you know, it’s still a pain if you have a lecture to get to.

The staff are generally pleasant and helpful if a bit, erm, over excited about being led into teenage girls bedrooms at times….. The only problem I had was last time when the delivery man drove up with a broken arm. Somehow he managed to drag my 60 (count ‘em) cartons of juice up the 13 floors to my room, but it took a while. Not his fault, I know, but still it took time and I was getting later by the minute.

Paying

Payment is by credit / debit card, and although you give your number online, you gave to sign when they deliver too (although this is more to confirm you’ve received the goods than to authorize the payment – at least I hope it is since they let me sign and things were being paid for by my mother’s Visa.

Not just food…..

You can also order items from the following sections
· baby and toddler warehouse
· games warehouse
· books warehouse (where the top 50 books are 10% cheaper than Amazon.co.uk)
· home furnishings
· DVD warehouse
· music warehouse ( Every CD and minidisc on UK release)
· electrical warehouse (triple Clubcard points on cameras & camcorders)
· video warehouse
· fashion warehouse
· wine warehouse
· flowers

These are sent separately, so incur a different delivery charge.

Website in General

The site is nicely laid out and easy to navigate. Links never seem to be broken as is the case with Sainsburys for example, and the site is colourful in a minimalistic way.

Website extras

As well as shopping you can :

· Use the store locator to find your nearest Tesco store
· Compare their grocery prices with those of the other major chains
· Check out your clubcard points and the latest Clubcard Deals.
· Find out more about Organic food at Tesco?
· Join the babyclub and start saving – unfortunately you have to prove you have a baby for this one
· Look up the latest offers at the Tesco in Calais – you can’t check the deals in the stores in Eastern Europe (of which, I found out this summer, there are many) but no doubt it’s only a matter of time.

Worth it?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss if you’re (a) lazy, (b) a student or (c) both of these. I’ll do it again and again and again – it’s sooooo convenient, it’s hassle free and it cheers me up –after all it’s almost as good as getting a surprise parcel. Almost.

MRSCANADA 20.03.2002 01:30

Great review and I've finished reading your page 3..LL

Pleb 17.10.2001 15:41

Hi. Lazy - Definetly. Student - Certainly. I think I'll give it a go this afternoon! Cheers - Ian.

julietta 16.10.2001 23:57

Well, I know that I was lazy when I was a student but now I work I'm actually even worse (just in my leisure time, of course - a-hem!). Great op and I use this 'service' too!