thegumtree.co.uk

Research Services

Review of "thegumtree.co.uk"

published 19/06/2006 | LIZKEMPO
Member since : 11/09/2003
Is living in Australia for a year so lots of travel reviews coming your way! Trying to read and rate as much as i can xx
Pro Great Site for jobs, flats, selling, buying, chatting, freebies!
Cons can't think of any!

"Stuck on Gum Tree"

About 6 months ago I was told about Gumtree by a friend, I have since become addicted to it! I love this site and feel that I should share it with the world (Or at least fellow Ciao peeps)

Gumtree website was started in March 2000 as a London classified advert site, it has since developed and is spread over 60 cities in 6 countries.

Why I love this site:
I love this site because it covers such a wide spectrum of areas; I have had some success on this site looking for a housemate and currently have a couple of adverts on the site, as I need some information about different things. The site is easy to navigate and it is free to post adverts, which for me is the most important thing! My favourite section is the freebies section.

Free postings: It is so easy to post adverts on this site, just select 'post an advert' select the appropriate section, and write your advert, then click on 'post ad'. You will then receive a copy of your advert and a posting ref and password so that you can alter or delete your advert at any point. Postings stay on the site between 30 - 90days depending on the section.

Gumtree covers a wide range of areas including:

Flat/House Share: Offered and Wanted - this area has proved very useful for me recently as we have desperately been seeking a housemate. I was able to make the advert as long as I wanted and add photos, and include a link to a map so that prospective housemates can check out the location. To post my advert was totally free, and I had loads of response from it, in fact it was the most successful advert I placed more successful than loot.

Flats/Houses Rent: I also used this section to have looked around my local area; I was amazed to see how many estate agents were advertising on this site, and with direct links to their websites. This made looking so much easier for me and I was impressed by the number of postings in this area.

Stuff for Sale: This section is split up into categories i.e. books, computers, DVD's, clothes. There is also a Stuff Wanted were you can place free adverts if you are looking for something specific. I have recently placed the following advert on the site:

Looking for FREE DONATIONS:

If you have any cards, postcards, birthday cards or magazines with pictures of animals on or any National Geographic magazines.
Any pictures of trains, planes, cars, bikes or general transport, for children at local nursery to use in creative area.
And also any buttons & scrapes of material etc for collages

We would like to hear from you, nursery is in Camberwell area, please e-mail for address to drop off/post, can only collect in local area.

If anyone on Ciao can help me with any of this stuff that would be great!
My favourite section is the freebies section; people advertise free giveaways such as furniture, clothes etc. Mostly it is yours as long as you can collect! Sometimes I wish I had a car!

Community: The community section is split into the following categories; pets, sports, events, bands, lost & found, rideshare, skills and language swap. In this area you are able to post adverts for things such as 'If you can teach me Spanish, I will teach you English' or 'Would anyone like to set up a car share in the Brixton area?'

Travel: This has two sections, 1) Travel Partners and 2) Tour Travel/Services. You can search for someone to travel with or post a free advert to see if someone would like to join you on a trip. I may be using this next year as I am thinking about going off to Australia or New Zealand but don't want to do it alone. You can also get directed to travel tours guides and services.

Friends/Partners: This section is basically a personals section were people can place adverts, it is split into different sections i.e. Guys seeking Girls, Girls seeking guys, guys seeking guys. I once put an advert on here, it was very basic giving no details about me at all, and it just said 'looking to go on more dates, can anyone help?' well I was shocked when I received 78 e-mails, none of them were my type so I realise now that I should be a little more specific.

Jobs: This section is split into areas such as office, bar work, education etc. This makes it easy for you to search the site for jobs in specific areas; I have had a little look on here and would say that it is ideal for people looking for temporary work rather than full-time, permanent positions.
This is also the only section were you have to pay to post an advert I suppose this is to stop time wasters. Here is an example of the costings: 1-5 adverts in a calendar month £19.95 per posting, 100+ adverts per calendar month £8 per posting.

Services: This section has the following categories tax/money/visas, property, telecom, and building/home/removal. This is really useful if you are looking for services in these areas, I have not needed to use this section yet but will be looking in the removals section next time I move.

Forums: London chat/ accommodation/ stuff for sale/ travel/ community/ friends/partners/ jobs/ services/ sport/ gumtree feedback. You can use this section to ask questions, for example I recently posted an advert because I am looking for a Car Boot sale in South London.

Subscribe: If you do not have time to search the website you can sign up for free e-mail alerts in the different sections, this would be particularly useful if you are looking either for a job or somewhere to live.

London Calendar: Down at the very bottom of the website you will find the London Calendar this has a list of all events going on in London over the months!

In conclusion

This website is free and totally useful in so many areas, I suggest you take the time to check it out and don't forget if you don't live in London just click on the your nearest city and you will be directed to the site most convenient for you.

• shuttlex published 24/11/2006
    I frequently browse Gumtree, very useful site too.
  • ally2kc published 29/06/2006
    Wish I had known about this when I lived in London!
  • KELLYLOUJ published 24/06/2006
    Sounds like a great site I will have to check out!!!