thetrainline.com

Review of "thetrainline.com"

published 03/12/2008 | ronmanager
Member since : 16/09/2000
Satisfactory
Pro Good for train times and finding out the cost of tickets available
Cons You may well not get your tickets and they won't take any responsibility
Layout & Design
Navigation
How fast is this website?
Content Update
Search Facility

"Trainline.com - don't give them any money"

The trainline.com is an easy to use website and is very handy for finding out train times and to see how much tickets are going to cost. I can't dispute that. However, I would never recommend buying tickets from them. Not ever. Really, don't do it...

They won't: Deliver your tickets when they say they will. I've paid £5 for registered (next day) delivery before and the tickets were sent 8 days later. They denied this until I pointed out that the date was printed on the receipt.

They won't: Take any responibility if your tickets don't turn up. They'll make you ring a number and then act like they don't understand what you want or try to make you return to the station to sort it out with them - and they'll deny responsibility there too.

They will: Avoid giving you a refund - I've tried twice and failed both times. Once, when the quick tickets machine at Liverpool Street station where I'd arranged to collect didn't have any record of my purchase - it told me to contact customer services at the station - there is no such thing as customer services in Liverpool Street - only queues about 15 people deep at ticket windows. Even if you queued up for 20 mins (and why should you? That's why you ordered online in advance in the first place!) and got to the front, the hapless soul behind the security strength perspex is hardly likely to jump up and say let's go and have a look at the machine then! Trainline's response to my refund request - it's the station's fault so they'll have to refund it - what a load of rubbish.

The other time (Note I bought the ticket from Southern Trains website not realising it was actually the Trainline in disguise!) was when I bought a monthly season ticket EIGHT days in advance and they printed the ticket and sent it on the day it started. Meaning I got it next day once I'd already left for work so two days lost by the time I'd actually got it in my hand. No refund again, not even of the £5 registered next day delivery I'd paid. They wanted me to send them the tickets I'd had to buy on those two missed days? You know, those tickets that are kept by the ticket machine as you leave the station. Nice little avoidance technique there Trainline - very slick.

These above all happened to me within the last year but I was prompted to write this review as I listen to a colleague on the phone trying to get a refund from Southwest Trains for tickets that didn't turn up at either at her address or then at the station as they promised even though they were booked a week in advance. She had to therefore buy full price tickets as it was 9pm Friday night and she had to catch the train. Southwest Trains won't refund the full price tickets although it was clearly their fault. Who runs the Southwest Trains ticket website.... You guessed it - Trainline.com.

Honestly, save your money. They seem to rely on the 'life's too short' theory that if they stall and stall, then act dumb, then make you send them stuff, go back to the station to argue with them and generally make it so much effort to get your money back, people will just give up for the sake of the £10 or £20 they've lost it's just not worth it . National rail's pitiful service already makes us angry enough without having to jump through hoops to get your hands on the tickets you've already paid for too.

Shame on you Trainline.com.

• Soho_Black published 05/03/2009
    I've been using the site for quite a few years and I've never had any trouble with them at all.