jayandfoo 2

jayandfoo

Member since:01.01.1970

Parcel2go...nowhere!

30.08.2005

Advantages:
Cheap, easy online booking process

Disadvantages:
Unreliable, poor Customer Service

Recommendable No:

1. ellesaddict
  2. Erinath
  3. reddragonflame87

Parcel2go….nowhere

I first encountered Parcel2go when I needed to ship a large item that I had sold on ebay, but didn't want to pay a fortune. I did an internet search for 'cheap parcel delivery' and Parcel2go was one of the companies that was returned in the search. What immediately appealed to me was their surprising low price - £8.99 (excluding VAT at 17.5%) for Next Day UK delivery, for any item up weighing p to 25kg and 4 cubic feet in size.

**WHO ARE PARCEL2GO?**
'Parcel2go.com is a wholly owed company of FAM Logistics Ltd founded in 1990. The company operates a cost effective collection and delivery service available throughout the UK and USA mainland. Through our various delivery partners we are able to offer high levels of service backed up by our dedicated customer service team, based at head office'.

Parcel2go.com offers a comprehensive range of collection and delivery services to residents living within the UK or USA, to both home and business users.

**SERVICES**

Parcel2go offer a number of services designed to cater for all delivery options. They are:

Next Day UK Delivery - £8.99 (ex. VAT) to any UK address. This service includes Insurance up to £100 and is for parcels weighing 25kg or less.

Next Day UK Delivery with up to £250 Insurance - £12.99 (ex. VAT). As above with the additional Insurance.

Next Day UK Delivery High Value Goods - £18.99 (ex. VAT). For High Value Goods with Insurance up to £2,000.00

Next Day UK Delivery before 10am - £17.99 (ex. VAT). For delivery of items by 10am next day. Also with £500 Insurance.

Northern Ireland and offshore island Delivery - £14.99 (ex. VAT). For delivery to Northern Ireland and Offshore Islands within 3 working days. Includes £100 Insurance.

More details are also available on Parcel2go website for delivery to the USA and Canada and the Far East. Prices are subject the contents and weight.

**BOOKING THE COLLECTION**
The price was more than acceptable so I decided to proceed with booking a collection with them. As stated above, their website gives a number of options, such as UK Next Day delivery, Northern Island and Offshore Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, etc) delivery and International Delivery.

Although mine was a heavy parcel, it did not exceed 25kg and so my booking was going to be fairly straightforward - I wanted it sending to a UK address for delivery the next (working) day. This was the option I selected.

Before proceeding with the booking, you are give the option to register with the site - I presume they will save some of your details that won't need to be entered in the next time you make a booking. However, I knew I wasn't going to be using them regularly and so I chose to proceed without registering.

I was then asked for the date I wanted the item collecting from me, via a drop down menu. Dates up to a week in advance are offered - all collections are 'usually' made between 9am and 5.30pm. You can then choose for them to confirm this collection date with you, by providing your name and contact details. If you are booking the collection as a result of a sale you have made on eBay or Amazon, you can also add these details in too.

The next step is the collection details - for ease of use, the simply ask for the house number or name and the postcode. You are then able to select your collection address. You are then able to verify your address. However, if you can't find your address, or even if their system doesn't recognise the Postcode, you can add the details yourself. This step is then repeated, but this time for the delivery address.

The full details of the collection are then required, such as any special instructions, the delivery contact details and what the item contents are. In this section, you are also advised of weight and size restrictions and that any items exceeding these restrictions will incur an extra charge or be refused for collection.

Once all details have been submitted, you are then given the details of the collection and delivery to review and amend if necessary.

The Terms and Conditions of the collection and delivery are then available to view before paying for the order.

**PAYMENT OPTIONS**
There are a number of payment methods available to Customers. You can either pay via your Debit or Credit Card (Visa, MasterCard, Switch, Solo, Visa Electron, JCB Card Visa Delta and Visa Purchasing) or via Paypal, which is convenient for customers sending parcels through ebay.

I have only ever paid using my debit card and the transaction was processed immediately.

Upon completing and paying for the order, a number of emails are received from Parcel2go, confirming receipt of order, receipt of payment and confirmation of the order, with the booking details and contact details for them in the event of query.

**THE COLLECTION**
So, my collection was booked online, I chose the date I wanted it, my payment was made and I received confirmation from them telling me the collection was going to be made. So by 4pm on the day of collection, I started to get a little antsy.

The local depot of Parcel2go is around 5 minutes away from me, in Bolton, Lancashire, so I felt assured that the collection would be made.

Just to be on the safe side, I decided to call their Customer Services department on the number I was given in the confirmation email. The 'phone rang for a good few minutes before it was picked up. I gave my order number and advised I was just confirming the collection will be taking place. I was told by a haughty Customer Service rep that items are picked up anytime until 5.30pm and that they will be there.

I was satisfied the collection would take place and went about my normal business. By 5.40pm, the item hadn't been collected and so I rang them again….only to be told their offices were closed. I was left annoyed and disappointed and resolved to call them in the morning. When I rang in the morning, I was given a quick and insincere apology and told they would be there sometime before 5.30pm.

Luckily, they did turn up the following day, but not before I thought the collection wasn't going to happen…again!

I expected a parcel2go van but instead was greeted with a DHL van and driver…apparently, Parcel2go operate on behalf of DHL. Essentially, they are DHL, under a different name.

I was given a collection ticket with a Tracking Number on, asked to sign and the parcel was whisked away.

The collection ticket enabled me to email the buyer advising them that the item had been collected, and provided them with the Tracking number so that they too would be able to track the parcel via Parcel2go's website. Out of interest, I asked them to contact me when it was delivered - it was delivered to the buyer the next day.

**ADDITIONAL SERVICES**
Parcel2go seem to spreading their wings. They also now offer Pallet collections and deliveries, Freight services and Saturday am deliveries - of course all at an extra cost. They are also working in conjunction with Dominos Pizza, to supply local Pizza delivery…not your typical parcel company!

Businesses and people who would be using Parcel2go on a regular basis are also able to set up an account with them - they ask that you contact them for more details.

**MY OPINION**
After my first experience with Parcel2go, I did use them again - purely due to their cheap price. However, I've never been impressed with their service, They have never collected from me on the date for which I have booked, it's extremely hard to get hold of their Customer Services if you have a problem and when you do, they seem overworked, stressed and unaware of what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a company that are cheaper than Parcel2go. I did attempt to use Parcel force but rather than using overall rates like Parcel2go, they ask for the exact weight and dimensions of the item you are sending, which meant that they were charging around £24.99 for an item it would cost only £8.99 to send with parcel2go.

I'm quite torn as to whether or not to recommend them…on one hand they are cheap and the booking process it one of the easiest I have come across. However, being messed about by them and items not getting collected when they should be puts me off recommending them.

www.parcel2go.com
Bolton
BL3 6BU

Phone : 08701 212101

ellesaddict 09.02.2012 14:05

I've used them a lot and touch wood not had any problems with them yet

reddragonflame87 14.11.2006 15:03

A very balanced and fairly written review

jason_webb 21.10.2005 18:00

Similar experience here as well, although we had a guy turn up at 6:15pm (late and just as i was about to leave the house) on the correct day for collection and then another guy turned up the next day at 3:45pm to collect again, very strange.